Sunday 24 July 2011

Project update.


I must apologise for not keeping you up to date over the past few weeks, but even though there was nothing happening here on the blog, the school was abuzz with activity. The holiday programme was not as well attended as I had anticipated but it went ahead nevertheless with an average group of eight kids although there was a Tuesday morning that was well below freezing where just three hardy little budding artists pitched. From the first workshop it was obvious that I needed to give the kids some sort of refreshment and thanks to David Muir I was able to supply sandwiches, fruit and some luxuries. During the last week of the school holidays a group of 22 students from the University of Pretoria arrived under the guidance of Kay Potts and the turn-out for their sessions was amazing. What was even more amazing though is the fact that with the additional manpower, the school's storeroom was attacked and I was blown away at what was found: suffice to say that no longer will the Lettie De Klerk Primary School need supplies for an arts programme! On behalf of the kids, the school and myself, I once again thank the UP Outreach for their efforts and dedication. If only I could now get some of the adults in the village and township interested and involved!

The past week I started with the regular art workshop and will soon be posting some of the letters and pictures that the kids wrote and drew by way of thank you. Saturday also saw the first rehearsal for the play 'Die Droomdief' which will be performed by the kids at the Fugard Festival in September. The auditions went well and roles were allocated with understudies to ensure that there are no unforeseen 'stay-aways' due to nerves. The next few weeks will be dedicated to rehearsals so that the kids thoroughly enjoy this opportunity.

1 comment:

Kay Potts said...

Thank You! Great to see the kids in the library! My students and I were grateful for the opportunity to lend a hand. It was an informative and enlightening week for my "future" teachers! Best wishes on "Die Droomdief!"
Thanks.
Kay